Professional shoe fitting is preventative medicine that is free, so take advantage of the
National Shoe Fitting Week and give your family’s feet some professional TLC.
Few people realise that putting their child into ill-fitting shoes, or badly worn ‘hand-me-downs’ can damage their health. Not only while they are young and the bones are forming, but also when they are older as health problems can develop as a result of poor footwear.
If we walk to avoid pain then it wears out other joints and tendons in the body and that’s why so many people end up with knee, hip, leg, neck, shoulder and back pain in later life. Even severe migraines can be caused by badly fitting footwear. When joints wear unnaturally then nerves can get trapped causing pain – later on arthritis and rheumatism can set in.
Children’s feet are very delicate and need to be protected as they grow and develop. If damage is done to the feet through ill-fitting or poor quality shoes then that damage can often be irreversible. It is a parent’s responsibility to get their child’s feet measured regularly, and to have all their footwear checked at least every 2-3 months; more frequently if your child is of pre-school age.
National Shoe Fitting Week is an annual campaign that aims to raise awareness about having feet measured and checked by a fully qualified professional fitter. It is especially important for those who are at greatest risk from ill-fitting shoes, i.e. children and diabetics. Look out for the SSF (Society of Shoe Fitters) accreditation or the CFHR (Children’s Foot Health Register) symbol, or both!
The SSF and their retail/associate members work closely with The Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists. These health professionals can offer help and advice on all aspects of foot health.
As a parent you probably don’t want to take on the responsibility of fitting your children’s feet when there are trained professionals to do it for you.
You wouldn’t take your car to be serviced by anyone other than a qualified motor mechanic, so why would you entrust your children’s foot health to guess work or someone who isn’t trained in that particular area? Like with their teeth, eyes and ears your child’s feet need professional care.
Klodhoppers are running the campaign throughout the entire Easter holidays.
There will be lots of activities going on, including
- Free size measuring and fitting checks on all shoes – just pop in and get everything checked.
- Klodhoppers Footsteps Initiative – we will be extending our free pre-school measuring and size checks into 5 different local nurseries in the lead up to and during National Shoe Fitting Week.
- Win the giant plush Hush Puppies dog – make a small cash donation (£1 suggested) and guess the dog’s name. If your name is ‘pulled out of the hat’ then you get to take the dog home. All proceeds will go to a local charity.
- Eggcellent Easter Early Bird promotion – 10% off all leather sandals during the campaign week.
- Free To Enter Colouring competition –win lots of lovely goodie bags.
- Free To Enter ‘Pin the Tail on the Easter Bunny’ game – have a go in-store (blindfolded) and get the chance to win a prize.
Special thanks to Hush Puppies, HB Shoes, Crocs and Richter for kindly donating competition prizes, freebies, balloons and giveaways for this year’s campaign.
Support your local independent shoe shop and protect your children’s feet.